Global Network of Parliamentary Budget Offices (GNPBO) invites you to a webinar on:
"LINKING POLICIES AND BUDGETS: ANALYZING MEDIUM TERM EXPENDITURE FRAMEWORKS"
Robert R. Taliercio
Lead Economist, East Asia and Pacific Region The World Bank
National Assembly Budget & Research Office, Nigeria
Senior Governance Specialist, WBISG
Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 | Time: 8 am to 9:00 am EST |
A medium term perspective to budgeting is increasingly recognized as crucial to more effectively linking policy, planning and budgeting. The specific instruments, generically referred to as Medium Term Expenditure Frameworks or MTEFs, are becoming important elements of the latest approaches to budget management and, increasingly, of the new ‘comprehensive’ approach to international development. The webinar will provide an overview on MTEF broadly focusing on the following points
- The MTEF process, including the points at which the MTEF and annual budget link.
- The main players who take part in MTEF preparation and their respective roles and tasks during the MTEF process and associated annual budget process.
- The points in the MTEF process that are subject to political engagement (e.g. by the Minister of Finance, Cabinet or Cabinet Committees, Parliament or Parliamentary Committees). What form does engagement take (e.g., pro forma, consultation, decision making)? What evidence is there that decision makers feel bound by the annual budget and the MTEF?
- Are there broader consultations regarding fiscal policy and/or resource allocation around the MTEF process? If so, who participates and at what point in the planning process? Are these consultations influential?
- Is the MTEF presented to the parliament with, or separate from, the annual budget? Is the information contained in the MTEF disseminated more widely?
Please connect to the Webinar, 5 to 10 minutes before the scheduled time, through the following URL:
For more information please contact Sruti Bandyopadhyay (firstname.lastname@example.org).